A very large thank you to Joe Short and all the Northern Forest Center staff for yesterday’s event. A number of folks inquired about the priorities of NBRC. Below are links to that information.
All NBRC application materials are available here (the link to upload the application will go ‘live’ April 1) Applications due before 5pm, May 11, 2018
From Joe Short,
Thank you for attending Investing in the Future Forest Economy earlier this week. I hope the event met your expectations and provided information, inspiration and connections useful to your work.
In follow-up, the Northern Forest Center will be preparing a meeting summary for the Northern Border Regional Commission, which I expect the NBRC will share when it is complete. In the interim, attached to this email are several of the presentations from Tuesday, as well as links to the businesses, organizations and stories featured on our afternoon panels. Should you wish to use any images or graphics from the presentations in your own presentations, please check with the authors first.
- Demographic Change in the Northern Forest, Ken Johnson (attached)
- Economic Trends in the Regional Forest Industry, Eric Kingsleyhttps://www.slideshare.net/erickingsley/northern-region-border-commission-northhern-forest-kingsley-march-2018
- Forest Opportunity Roadmap panel (attached)
- Forest-based Business Development
- Maine Huts & Trails, Carolann Oullette: https://mainehuts.org/
- Elmina B Sewall Foundation, Jay Espy: https://www.sewallfoundation.org/
- Housing Vermont/Vermont Rural Ventures/Bensonwood/Unity Homes, Beth Boutinhttps://www.hvt.org/ http://vermontruralventures.com/ http://bensonwood.com/https://unityhomes.com/
- Our Katahdin, Mike Osborne http://www.ourkatahdin.com/
- Husson University, Lignaterra, Brien Walton: http://www.husson.edu/http://www.lignaterra.com/
- Community Revitalization
- City of Berlin, NH, Pam Laflamme https://www.berlinnh.gov/
- NH Community Development Finance Authority, Katy Easterly Martey:http://www.nhcdfa.org/
- North Country Growers/ American Ag Energy:http://www.americanagenergy.com/home.html (video showed is on home page)
- USDA Rural Development, Jon Michael Muise: https://www.rd.usda.gov/
- MaineWest, Mike Wilson: http://www.mainewest.org/
- Betterment Fund, Bill Clough: https://www.bettermentfund.org/
- Northern Border Regional Commission: www.nbrc.gov
And finally, here’s an album of a few pictures from the day!
Thanks again for your commitment to building a vibrant future for the people, places, businesses and forests of the Northern Border/Northern Forest region. My best,
Joe Short | Vice President
Northern Forest Center | Thriving Communities & Healthy Forests
Each State scores the applications received within their state independently. Generally, each state creates a team of reviewers and has access to a group of consultants who have specialized knowledge on scientific or technical expert opinion that provide guidance when needed. Final decisions about awards are approved jointly between the Federal Co-Chair and the Governor’s Alternates (the five members that make up board of the Northern Border Regional Commission). The scoring system for each state is provided below. If the application is for a multi-state project, each state will score the application independently. While States will consult with one another in order to strive for consistency, a multi-state application may be awarded in one state and not in another.